Note: If you like this application, please consider trying out Peaceful Breathing, available for Android.
Published : 2008.11.13
Requires: Java 1.4 or higher, Java Web Start
This is a small program program I wrote that guides a user for deep breathing. It’s been nice to use while at work or when looking for a moment’s relaxation. The program has values for setting the number of beats for breathing in and breathing out, the beats per minute, and if to use sound or not. In the texts I’ve read, breathing out longer than breathing in is good for detoxifying, breathing in longer than breathing out is good for energizing, and an equal amount of both is calming.
- 2 beats in, 4 beats out, 40 beats per minute
- 4 beats in, 2 beats out, 40 beats per minute
- 4 beats in, 4 beats out, 40 beats per minute
Also, I sometimes start at a a faster beats per minute when I’m just getting settled in, and slowly lower the beats per minute as I go along. Enjoy!
Note: If you are not hearing any sound it is most likely that your installation of Java does not have a MIDI Soundbank installed. You can install one from here. If you’re having problems installing the soundbank, please feel free to email me.
If you’ve found this program to be of value to you, please consider making a donation.
- Changed Breath Display Panel to use Circles
- Added ability to set “Always On Top” from File menu (also using Ctrl-A)
- Added ability to double-click Breath Display Panel to show/hide Settings Panel
- Added Breaths Per Minute Label
- Added Russian translation (Thanks to Yaroslav Senshin!)
- Fixed bug where In Breathing Time was not being set when selecting Saved Presets or last saved value before closing
- Reorganized menus
- Add ability to save, manage, and recall presets
- Added ability to set total time to run (i.e. “Run this for 15 minutes”)
- Program loads with values used when last closed
- Redesigned Layout
- Added Donation Link
- Added New Options for Sound
- Selecting instrument
- Selecting pitches for breathe in and breathe out
- Option to articulate each beat or hold for entire breathe in and breathe out
- Added Breaths Per Minute (calculated as BPM / (In Count + Out Count) )
- Added Sound Volume (using MIDI values 0-127)
- Added elapsed time counter
- Added mnemonics to menu
- Sound changed so breathing out pitch is different than breathing in pitch
- Tempo default set to 40
- Added Sound
- Changed in and out time to be in beats instead of seconds
- Added beats per minute setting
- Added menu, ability to hide/show configuration panel
- Initial Release